Monday, March 15, 2010

Moe! Staiano/Moe!kestra!, An Inescapable Siren within Earshot Distance Thereof (CD)

I've played in several Moe!kestra!s, including a Seattle performance of Piece No. 7 (featured here), and Moe! has become a friend along the way. This 2006 CD is not easy for me to discuss objectively! Moe!'s compositions make dramatic use of dynamics and texture, and this recording is so dynamic that I couldn't hear the quiet parts over running water, or the loud parts would have deafened me (and maybe my neighbors). Despite some obvious references to rock music, it's an old-fashioned room recording drawing more from classical recording techniques. Gino Robair seems a bit underutilized on U-bolt on Piece No. 7, and I like hearing Jonathan Segel so far removed from CVB.

No comments:

Post a Comment