Sunday, January 9, 2011

Brian McMahon, An Inch Equals a Thousand Miles (side A)

Through some bizarre twist of fate, one of my earliest recording gigs was a 1997 album for songwriter Brian McMahon, who had been in the Electric Eels 20+ years earlier. I was young and naïve, and in so many ways wish I could have worked through the whole process with my current skills and knowledge. Somehow, An Inch Equals a Thousand Miles manages to achieve a confusing blend of experience and naïveté that ends up making sense, at least to my ears, all of these years later. Brian's songwriting and the impressive talent of everyone who worked on the album really shine through (perhaps despite my frequent awkwardness in the control room). While the overt 60s influences are recognizable in both the songs and arrangements, An Inch Equals a Thousand Miles doesn't really look or sound much like anything else.

No comments:

Post a Comment