Wednesday, August 24, 2011

Mikis Theodorakis/ Maria Farandouri, The Ballad of Mauthausen/Six Songs (side A)

This record confuses me most for having been released in Israel (according to the Internet), although the packaging does not indicate its country of origin.  I also cannot find a year of the pressing, though the earliest release I can find is a Greek cassette from 1974.  The Greek lyrics do not convey a clear meaning to me, though the cover design corroborates my quick research that The Ballad of Mathausen relates to Nazi Germany and the Holocaust.  Theodorakis of course was a Greek soundtrack composer who was also known, at the time of this music, for his leftist political activism and conflicts with the Greek government.  Vocalist Farandouri was his frequent collaborator.  The music here is typical of his work, with combining anthemic music reminiscent of classic Hollywood soundtracks with distinctly Greek stylistic references.  While some of his soundtracks evolve slowly and lyrically, the structures here are more song-like.  The pressing quality, unfortunately, is not great—I assume the orchestral recording is better than was reproduced on my copy.

No comments:

Post a Comment